By Abby Berman Mazenod
When we were Japan a few weeks ago, I kept seeing advertisements for “Jelly Coffee” everywhere. Seriously everywhere… any casual eatery, any convenience store, even in Starbucks. I was so curious, that of course I had to try it… and became immediately obsessed! With pieces of rich coffee gelatin slurping up your straw… it is a uniquely delicious experience.
When I came home… this tasty treat was nowhere to be found. I searched and searched with no luck. So the obvious solution was that I needed to make my own! With inspiration from multiple Pinterest recipes, I took this exciting task on and came up with a recipe that tastes like the real deal!
Keep in mind, that this is not a low-calorie treat… you can definitely modify it to your liking though!
Try it for yourself! See what you think!
Ingredients: (for one coffee drink)
- 1 cup of hot fresh coffee
- 1 envelope (1/4 oz) of unsweetened gelatine
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp chocolate syrup
- 1 1/2 cup of vanilla almond milk (unsweetened)
- 1 tbs coconut creamer
- whipped cream
- In a large maison jar (I make enough gelatin for 3 drinks in that jar, but the recipe is just for one) mix coffee, gelatin and sugar until the powders have liquified. Then refrigerate mixture until it has hardened.
- Once the “coffee jelly” has become gelatin, scoop out one cup of gelatin into desired glass with a spoon, while making sure to break up big chunks.
- Add chocolate syrup, coconut creamer, and almond milk to the glass and mix well.
- Top with whipped cream and a straw (a large circumference straw is better to slurp the jelly with), and enjoy!
Happy summer! Stay cool!